Invasiveness of Stipa tenuissima (Mexican feather grass)

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've received an enquiry about Stipa tenuissima and potential invasiveness, which I've answered to the best of my abilities. I wonder if I cast the net a little wider if someone else has opinions. The exchange is as follows:

Enquirer:
    My reply:
    Enquirer:

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have a clump of Stipa tenuissima in my garden for 6 years now and, in our zone 7b/8a, I have never seen any seedlings or spread. It has a clumping habit. The seeds do not germinate in our climate, or if they do, probably did not survive it's first winter. Otherwise, I should have seen lots of new clumps by now. It may be a different matter in warmer climates.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I have seen Mexican Feather Grass self seeding in the Bellingham/Whatcom County area; not too different than Vancouver. The self seeding is not so prolific that I would call it invasive, but it definitely could spread in an untended garden.

4. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Daniel, I think it is wonderful that you are showing the responsibility of checking out invasive species! However, Stipa (tenuissima) growing out of contol in the lower mainland? Dont think you have anything to worry about..the interior could be a much different situation...I'd really check it out. For instance good luck in Maple Ridge but in Vernon or Kelowna (Glenmore) could be a real problem. Deb