Invasive anemones

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Rhea Tregebov, May 28, 2023.

1. Rhea Tregebov

Rhea Tregebov Member

I was out of town all April and came home to find my gardens back and front overrun with anemones. I've had them in the garden for a long while and obviously they're a nice groundcover that then vanishes some time in June. But this year when I got home they had really taken hold and were choking out more valued annuals, like the Crocosmia, hosta, hakone grass. I think they even smothered the buttercup, the only plus! They yank up by the stem easily enough but the rhizomes are everywhere. It's like a horror movie and I don't want them coming back next spring. Any tips?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Which type of anemone are you dealing with?

3. Rhea Tregebov

Rhea Tregebov Member

I'm not quite sure. It's likely Anemone canadensis.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Which specific anemone is involved has no particular relevance to how it would be eliminated - you will still have to either dig it all out or spray it with a broadleaf herbicide.

5. Rhea Tregebov

Rhea Tregebov Member

Thanks, Ron. Any tips on successfully digging out? tools? It's so pervasive! I couldn't use a herbicide as it's surrounded by plants I want to keep.