International Aroid Show, Miami, FL, September 15 and 16

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Aug 10, 2007.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The International Aroid Show will be held in Miami, FL, September 15 and 16. The show is sponsored by the International Aroid Society and will be held at Fairchild Tropical Gardens, one of America's most prestigious tropical gardens, and will feature guest Leland Miyano from Hawaii.

Leland is a noted author and expert on aroids, palms, cycads and other tropical species and has authored several books and numerous articles on the trees and flowering plants of Hawaii. You can easily find Leland's books on Amazon or the internet.

Leland is also a noted tropical landscape designer whose work has been featured by several fabulous gardens in Hawaii. He worked and studied with the famous landscape architect Roberto Burle Marx in Brazil and had the opportunity to study and collect some of the rare aroids including Philodendron and Anthurium species in South America. If you are a tropical plant lover, plan to attend!

Admission is included in the admission fee to the garden.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yeah love to come...just on the other side of the world thats all. No doubt you will let us know on this forum of any updates. If I PM you my email would you mind sending me some photos please, as I too like to buy rare/exotic plants. Thanks

Ed

3. photopro

Ed, it would be my pleasure. I think there is at least one Aussie I know of who I believe is coming! Buy a ticket and come join us! But photos will be no problem.

This show will be quite a treat. A lot of world class aroid vendors, some incredible plants including Philodendron spritius-sancti will be at auction (there are only 6 specimens of that beautiful plant left in the wild in Brazil), and lots of brilliant minds I can glean info from. I've corresponded with Leland Miyano for quite a long time, almost daily. Leland is one great guy and super knowledgeable about palms, cycads, aroids and all sorts of other plants. He's mailed me all sorts of photos of his home and family plus his personal interests. It is almost strange how you can become really good friends with someone you've never met inperson. And that is the way things are with Leland. He is also quite famous in Hawaii due to his books, private gardens and the ones he designs for corporate clients having been schooled by Roberto Burle Marx who is the master of garden design.

But I'll have more photos than you can handle! I've bought a great big card that will handle almost 1000 photos at 9 megapixel! Don't worry, I'll reduce the size and only send you the best ones!

And if you haven't jointed the International Aroid Society, do it! You'll get enough great information in the mail to make it worth the annual membership.

Write anytime. I enjoy your responses since you always give intelligent answers.

G'day mate! Would be a pleasure to have you join us!

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Good to see your going a bit Aussie!! lol

That would be great if you could, maybe you could load them on to a CD and send it to me, I will pay for the postage, maybe send over a bank cheque or something. I'll PM my email now. Thanks

Ed

5. photopro

Postage is no big deal and the CD would be easy.

Steve

6. photopro

For those who will be around Miami on the 15th and 16th of September, 2007, consider joining the International Aroid Society before coming to the show. The entrance fee to Fairchild Tropical Gardens is just $5 less than joining the IAS. Once you join, you'll receive four quarterly newsletters plus and annual issue of Aroideana. Aroideana is the journal of the IAS and is packed with valuable information on aroids.

You'll need to make sure Tricia Frank at IAS knows you are planning to attend the show and she will arrange your admission since IAS members get into the show for free! That's a very good deal!

Here's a link to join the International Aroid Society:

http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.html

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007