Insurers of Green Roof Building in B.C. Are there any?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wynn, Apr 12, 2011.

1. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

I have imminent plans to build a new house, hopefully, incorporating an extensive green roof. Much to my surprise, in spite of the growing interest in green roofs and encouragement by municipalities to "Build-Green", the insurance industry seems to have its head in the sand on the issue, lagging way behind other places in the world who have embraced green roofs - both in terms of construction/warranty insurance and regular home/contents insurance.

To-date my google research can only find references from 2007 (when the insurance industry apparently turned its back on green roofs) and apparently said "ain't touching it". Has anything changed since 2007? Is anyone in the construction/insurance/consultant industry working on this. Can I even build a green roof and be insured? There are certainly green roofs out there, including the Convention Centre. Surely they must have insurance? HPO is somewhat silent on the subject. Still trying to reach someone there to discuss the subject.

Does anyone have any information, experience, names of insurers or references they can share with me on this subject? I would be most appreciative of your help.

Thank you, Wynn

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try TOS/HUB international, they work with the BC Landscape Association and its membership in the green industry, they might have some idea about the topic. Otherwise try the Society of Landscape Architects for info.

3. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Thank you Paul! I've put in inquiry with Hub. Hopefully someone will respond positively. Wynn