Insects on Maple Tree

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Najeeb, May 20, 2009.

1. Najeeb

Najeeb Member

Hello,

I am seeing these black bugs (aphids??) at the tip of my hedge maple branches and the underside of it's leaves. There is some sticky droplets on the leaf surface as well. Some of these have wings while others are wingless. There is also a white bug living alongside. I knew we should not have hoped for a warmer winter!!
    IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

2. Gold

Gold Member

Looking at the photo's you've posted, the bug in question looks very similar to something I had on a Mock Orange bush. They congregated in exactly the same way, and having looked them up they came out as Black Fly and the other White Fly.
    I don't know what pesticides you can get, certainly in England this is a very common problem, the important bit is spraying early, keeping a watch for their return, and spraying again.
    Incidently, the bush was constantly infected with these little flies. If I took my eye off the ball they were back in their thousands so eventually I dug it up.

3. Najeeb

Najeeb Member

Thanks for your input. Pesticides are now ban in Ontario so I am thinking of natural controls. If these are indeed aphids, I am planting some nasturtiums underneath the tree. I will also hang some sticky yellow tape on the tree to see if that can attract some of these bugs. Lastly, I am looking for lady bugs. Apparently they love to feast on these insects.

Najeeb

4. Gold

Gold Member

Interesting you should mention lady bugs. I was watching a farming programme on the tv a couple of weeks ago and it seems that many are now introducing these little ladies into their greenhouses to control the aphids.
    The spray I probably used on the black and white fly will not be available now here, there has been a concerted effort to bring in a more gentle way of controlling bugs. These days I tend to use those advertised as not being harmful to birds, lady bugs, bees etc.

5. Najeeb

Najeeb Member

Would bumble bees eat aphids? I have many of those hovering around in the yard.

6. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

bumble bees are vegetarian I believe.

Edit: Wasps (hornets, yellow jackets) are carnivorous and eat many different insects. I'm not sure about aphids, though, they seem rather small for a wasp prey item. People have been using lady bugs for aphid control for (at least to my knowledge) decades, maybe even longer. As long as their is food for them, they'll stay, but if they run out of food, they will leave and find food.

7. Gold

Gold Member

Hi Najeed, sorry I think the way I explained myself re 'safe' insecticide looked like bees might eat aphids, as mentioned they are vegetarian.

8. Priya Mahalingam

Priya Mahalingam Member

Hello Najeeb,

You can refer www.kootenaycovers.com. you can find the protecting bags for the tree from the worms and insects.