Inosculation and hybridisation

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Brad Stuart, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Brad Stuart

Brad Stuart New Member

HI! I am a fig tree fanatic in Victoria and have A lot of varieties. When we first moved into our home i planted two varieties of figs in one hole twisting them together. They now appear to have self grafted (Inosculated). I now can find no differences between the tree nor the fruit. I am now curious if these have created a hybrid species? Is this possible or am i way off.. I am also slowly staring to graft my other varieties on to this or these trees. Hope someone can help me find the answer.....

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Given that they are cultivars and likely the same species to begin with, I don't think the term hybrid would apply in this case.

3. Brad Stuart

Brad Stuart New Member

Hi Daniel,
    Yes both are figs but they are of a different variety. I planted a Nazareth fig and a Brown Turkey fig trees in the same hole together. Then I twisted the young trees together. This was 7 years ago. Now I’m only able to find one type of fig being produced on the whole tree. I can tell where the individual trees are but they have grown together as one. I am able to trace them separately however the leaves and fruit are all the same now. Thanks for your time.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2020
  4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Nazareth and Brown Turkey are two varieties of the same species: Ficus carica. One of those varieties must be more vigorous than the other and has grown over it.