Inky Cap Control

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by wild-rose-43, Jun 17, 2007.

1. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping someone on here can help me. Actually help my mom. She has a patch of Inky Cap mushrooms that grow near her water faucet outside. They create quite a slimy mess and she would like to have them gone. So far, in an online search, all I can come up with is:
    Is that the only solution there is? They seem to be growing on the roots of a Poplar tree that they had removed last year.

Have any of you had success with some sort of fungicide or other control measures? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes. Just pick the 'mushrooms' off as they appear, before they get a chance to go soggy.

3. fungi99

fungi99 Active Member

I agree with Michael F, the easiest and probably better choice for both you
    and environmental safety is just to pick off your mushrooms as soon as
    you notice them, without using chemicals trying to kill fungi.

That's probably the mycologist's most wanted "problem", lots of fungi growing around
    his/her house!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

One other point to remember - if they are Shaggy Ink Cap (Coprinus comatus), the young mushrooms (while still in bud shape) are delicious.

Note that not all the other ink cap species are edible though, and some can give an unpleasant reaction if consumed with alcohol.