Identification: Indoor Plant ID unknown :/

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Strider2k, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Strider2k

Strider2k Member

I'm guilty. I was naughty and bought a plant and I didn't even know what it was. After asking numerous employees at Home Depot (where I bought it) and after searching books and Inet for the past few hours, I'm at a loss. Maybe someone can help.

To begin with, it has thick, green stems that come straight out of the soil.

Each stem has numerous branches, which end in a cluster of 3-5 leaflets, like a schefflera, only each leaflet is serrated, roughly 4-5 inches wide and 6-8 inches long (the biggest I can find) and is fuzzy underneath.

It has the grabber tendrils of a grape, though only a few dead ones are still on the plant.

It's roughly 6 feet wide and 2-3 feet high currently.

For $14 I figured a plant of that size was worth it :P Now if I can just find out what it is :)

2. Ali

Ali Active Member

3. Strider2k

Strider2k Member

Here are 2 pics of it. If it is a cissus it is unlike any I have seen before. It looks similiar but noticably different then the rhombifolia that I have.

Attached Files:

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The plant sounds and looks like Tetrastigma voinierianum (chestnut or lizard vine).

Check out this link to UCLA

5. Strider2k

Strider2k Member

Thats it! \o/ Thank you very much for the help. After doing some more looking and also looking at entries in my books it seems it'll get 50-60 feet wide..... so I guess I need to buy another house :P