Identification: Indoor house plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello,
    We have a tall green house plant .... very fast growing..6 ft high...very narrow main stem... green ... no flowers..and each branch has 9 leaves in a circular arrangement. Branches are from the top to bottom.
    Can you please help on the identification?

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Normally, there are half a dozen forum participants just waiting to scoop the others with a rapid-fire identification of such an unknown plant. Well, I'd bet that every one of you is as stumped as I am.

Could we possibly have an idea of the shape and size of the leaves? Does this plant never have flowers because it's not happy, or because it doesn't normally have flowers indoors? Does the "circular arrangement" refer to leaves (radiating) all around the stem? Does the plant have a woody stem and branches? Finally, where (geographically) is the plant, and this correspondent writing, from?

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

my first guess was a Schefflera type plant but I don't have an example around to count the leaves etc... A picture would say a thousand....

4. belbowes

belbowes Member

Thank you. I have been trying to identify this plant for ages. Checked out the picture on Wikipedia and mine is definitely a Schefflera.