Indoor garden design tips

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by love_veggies, Aug 12, 2021.

1. love_veggies

love_veggies New Member

Hello all,

We are in the development process of our new home. We are designing our own plans and were wondering if there is something special (IE: anything that you wish you would have thought of when designing your own indoor garden, tips?...) that we can/should do now to make things easier later on.

The goal is for my wife and I to be able to grow all or close to all the vegetables we need.

We are thinking two separate rooms; one for vegetables and seedlings that are OK with 18/6 on/off light schedule and vegetables that are OK with 12/12.

Both rooms are located in the basement which has cement foundation floor and walls.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Moved this over to Fruit and Veggie Gardening area, you may get some replies here.

Is the energy input from the lighting necessary going to make this economical? I suppose there are also the concerns with humidity, airflow, and temperature as well.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I successfully grow all seedlings in my concrete floor and walls basement using a 16-on/8-off light schedule, but I don't think that the day length is critical for seedlings. Some maturing vegetables need particular light schedules, but I have no relevant experience.