I'm clutching a handful of Harlequin Glory Bower fruit/berries--when do I plant?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MarissaRavenscourt, Nov 22, 2004.

1. MarissaRavenscourt

MarissaRavenscourt Member

(crossposted, I'm not sure where this goes!)

Hello! Complete black thumb here. Walking along yesterday, I saw an AMAZING tree. A nice forum member told me it was a Harlequin Glory Bower. I scooped up a handful of the little blue berry/fruits, I'm assuming there are seeds inside. Now, dumb question #256: do I just shove these in some soil and wait for them to sprout? Or do I wait till spring (will they still be viable then) to plant? Do I grow (initially) indoors until weather warms? Do I just shove the berry/fruit in the ground, or do I squish it to find a seed? Thanks for ANY advice!

--Marissa

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Clerodendrum bungei seeds propagation

Clerodendrum bungei (Glory Bower) seeds should be planted in Spring at 13-18 degrees Celcius, according to Reader's Digest A-Z. The A.H.S. says that the seeds should be stratified in the cold for three months before sowing, which means you should store them in the refrigerator until Spring; or, you could sow them in fall and keep the pot outside in a sheltered area where birds or rodents will not be tempted to eat the seeds.