Identifying Palm?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Tom24, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

When we bought this palm the card said it was a Chinese Fan Palm. I researched it and it looks more like a Queensland Fan Palm. I put pictures below of the palm. Any suggestions of what this palm may be would be very appreciative. When I repotted it because it was root bound. Now instead of standing straight up it sags down to the floor because the fronds are to top heavy. Does anybody know how to prevent this from happening. Thank You for your advice in advance.

Tom24

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yes it looks like a QLD fan palm, as to which one, you will probably have to wait till the leaves "fan" out properly (pardon the pun : ). Someone else may know what it is now, though

Ed

3. sudbury

sudbury Active Member

I have a Chinese fan palm in a planter in the house and it looks the same (leaves bending in the same manner). It might have been labeled right after all lol.

4. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

It does have some similar characteristics of a Chinese Fan Palm, but you really will need to wait for it to fill out a bit. You can get a better bead on the situation depending on whether or not it's showing any thorns on the rachis... My CFPs are all pretty 'top heavy,' even in 10 gallon pots. They are very broad leaves.