Identifying ancient specimens?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Poetry to Burn, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I'll be there this Sunday. I think there is still more color coming. Last year the photos were taken on Thanksgiving weekend.

2. alex66

alex66 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

have you for me?

3. Poetry to Burn

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

gil,

how're the two saplings you took up last spring doing? if you end up with any spare seeds, i'd love to have them! i had a tiny seedling going from the neighbors tree - it was actually perfectly centered in the bed too (gotta love nature sometimes) and was doing okay for a couple years - then, when i had to take down the regular maple, one of the branches landed on the little red guy and that's the end of his story...

i'll have to bring my camera in again so i can take some pics - i really love the fall color these get!!

joc

5. Poetry to Burn

Joclyn,

The seedlings are vibrant and still green. They didn't put on much above ground growth but they seem very healthy. The both have smallish, darker green leaves in a species like shape. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow.

If you want to try a few samaras send your address in a private message.

6. Poetry to Burn

Cafenan (Carlos) from Argentina PM'd me today to say that he has germinated the 'ancient specimen' samaras. Yahoo

Looking forward to a warm up here and signs of life from my own batch of samaras.

7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

PTB

If you have good luck this spring with your seed germination, you will have to ask your neighbor the artist to start designing pots for maples into his work. This way you can incorporate your trees into the amazing neighborhood.

Ed

8. Poetry to Burn

Ed,

Appreciate the compliment to my neighborhood. Isaiah has certainly been very, very generous with his art.

I guarantee he would jump on a commission to create another magic garden in your neck of the woods.

As far as the seedlings go i have no idea what I'll do if I have a lot of success. I am considering a maple grove in the Cape May garden. Whis4ey mentioned that idea a while back in talking about using seedlings. I am very excited. I went from a handful last Spring to well over a hundred this year.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Poetry,

I'm still waiting for (hoping for) mine to sprout!

K4

10. Poetry to Burn

Same here K4.

All of the samaras came from the same batch. It's encouraging that Carlos had lift off. His message said that after 60 days in the fridge they sprouted. He's in the S. hemisphere so I'm wondering how the sprouts will fare heading into autumn.