Identify this palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by ewc79, Jul 10, 2005.

1. ewc79

ewc79 Member

My wife and I were driving around taking pictures of trees we like. We recently bought a new house and are landscaping. I live in Central Florida.

I have seen this palm tree at a couple of different homes. I really like it because it looks like a minature palm tree.

I have not seen it at Home Depot, Lowes, Super Wal-Mart, etc. and was wondering what its name is and if anyone knows where I could get one.

Thanks!
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Possibly phoenix dactylifera (date palm)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think it will turn out to be pygmy date palm.

4. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

It als might be phoenix roebeleni

5. ewc79

ewc79 Member

Thanks for the help.

6. Unas

Unas Member

Robelini's and Pygmy Date Palms are small "climber" palms a bit like the Philodendron in charcteristics, Slow growers and mostly do well in shaded areas with medium filtered light. I would say Joe Keller was correct in his first post as it being a Date Palm genre which by the way i have been researching for growth in Central Florida and have discovered that the Tropical Research and Education Center -TREC of the University of Florida Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic in Homestead says they are notorious for not reaching their fullest potential in our climate even further south in miami-dade. looks healthy in the picture so i would say it is either the ‘Halaway’, ‘Khadrawy’, or the ‘Kaktoom’ genre.