Identify this apple disease photo please

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by eugeneg, Aug 9, 2007.

1. eugeneg

eugeneg Member

Please tell me the name of this disease. What causes it, how should I treat it and how to prevent it in future ?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. eugeneg

eugeneg Member

Many thanks for the reply. This problem is affecting about 7 in 10 of the apples on two trees that are next to each other. There are more photos of apples and leaves at http://bayimg.com/tag/appledisease

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, that link isn't displaying any results.

5. eugeneg

eugeneg Member

Sorry. Please visit http://bayimg.com/settings and set the 'Filter offensive material' radio button to 'No, I don't mind offensive material' Then I believe you will see the images at http://bayimg.com/tag/appledisease I'm not too clear who would be offended by the images of apples; me, I'm fearless about such things.

6. Daniel Mosquin

I think some people might be offended by some of the ads around the apple images, but now that I've seen the others, the first image you posted here is not too different from the rest (so that should be sufficient).

I'm not certain what it is, though - closest I've been able to find so far is possibly damage from Rhynchites aequatus, or apple fruit weevil. But I'm not certain - if you do a cross-section of the fruit, does the damage extend deep into the fruit, or is it all at the surface?

7. Daniel Mosquin

On the other hand, if the splotches are increasing in size, perhaps it is bitter rot

8. eugeneg

eugeneg Member

With apologies for the tardy response - I didn't receive the normal e-mail telling me there was a new post.
    A cross section of the fruit shows that the damage is little more than skin deep. Perhaps it extends to 1/8th of an inch or 3mm. No evidence of burrowing insects or eggs that I can see. The spots do seem to increase a little, but they don't take over the fruit. The biggest has a diameter of no more than 4mm.
    The links you kindly posted do not seem to match what I have :-(
    I wish there was a set of photos os diseases that I could compare against. I tried Googling but to no avail.

9. Daniel Mosquin

It's really beginning to sound like physical damage of some sort. Any thunderstorms in the area when the fruit were developing? Otherwise, I'm at a loss, too - I'm not coming across anything else in the (limited) books I've available to me re: apple fruit damage.