Identification pls?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Creatrix, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Creatrix

Creatrix Active Member

this 'orphan' appeared in my raised bed this year: does anyone have any idea? I have not been able to find an app for the iphone that can identify western/Vancouver Island plants, so, if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's an oak seedling with Quercus robur being a candidate for the species since example shown has effectively stalkless leaves. And Q. robur reseeds in our region.

3. Creatrix

Creatrix Active Member

OK so that must have been one large bird right? :~}
    thank you: now I have to wait about 15 years before I can hang a swing. Thank you Ron

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It might not have been a bird. Squirrels love to bury acorns in soft garden soil. I'm constantly pulling out seedlings with the acorns still attached to the roots.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Jays are the main dispersal agents for acorns, so yes, a bird. Steller's Jay the obvious candidate on Vancouver Island.

Don't think it's Quercus robur though, as that has rounded lobe tips. Any mature Quercus rubra or Quercus kelloggii planted nearby (within 2-3 km)? That would be my guess. The petioles are shorter on seedlings than on adult foliage. Quite likely the acorn shell will still be in the ground at the base, that could give some clues.