identification please

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by omnithought2004, Feb 26, 2007.

1. omnithought2004

omnithought2004 Active Member

someone threw this plant out side it looks like a type of cactus if someone could help me and tell what it is i'd be appreciated

thanks omni

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably gooseneck cactus (Epiphyllum oxpetalum). Try searching forums, frequently asked about.

3. Jade_308

Jade_308 Member

I have a plant exactly like this that I got from my Grandmother when she passed on. The following year it bloomed three HUGE, fragrant blooms. Everyone laughed at me for carrying around the "ugly" plant, but I kept saying that anything this plain- must do something wonderful... The blooms only lasted for one night. For all of the research I have done, I think I have a Queen of the Night, Selenicereus grandiflorus. However, in my searches many different pictures have come up with this species. Some of the pics are identical to the ones you posted and are some are spinier, thinner and taller- not the trailers I have on my plants. Hope this helps some.

4. omnithought2004

omnithought2004 Active Member

thanks i just found it outside i love helping plant i have a numberous of plants i've saved i was just looking to see how this plant need to be takin care off thanks for all the help

omni

5. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I agree with Ron B, it looks like an Epiphyllum oxypetalum.

Jade_308: S. grandiflorus has ribs (about 4-6), short, stiff spines, and the stems do not become flattened. I have seen the name "Queen of the night" applied to a dozen species, so it is quite natural that you got a lot of different looking plants when you searched. The "real" Queen of the night is S. grandiflorus, however.

6. Jade_308

Jade_308 Member

mandarin: yes, you are correct. After looking at the Epiphyllum oxypetalum, that is the correct one. All of the pictures were consistent with one another and with my plant I have at home. You had also said that many are called Queen of the Night- again, I ran into that as well. Thank you for the clarification!

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Botanists sometimes refer to Epiphyllum oxypetalum as a "trash can" plant. That is due to the fact it is an epiphyte and grows up in the crooks of trees. The plant catches debris falling from the tree (dead leaves) and uses the material to collect and hold moisture. It is is a high humidity loving plant and is found in tropical environments. As a result, you should pot it in a humus and sand rich mixture. Keep the medium moist. The higher the humidity the better and that will lead to night blooms in the summer. The blooms are beautiful but very short lived. Once you begin to notice a bud forming on the edge of one of the "branches" start checking it after dark each evening. Once it opens it will die within a few hours after the sun rises. But it is worth staying up late to see. Here's a link with some information that may help.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Epiphyllum oxypetalum pc.html