Identification: identification of maple tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Soumil Yarlagadda, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

hello, i found a maple tree near monterey bay, california. i have trouble iding it, any maple experts to help me identify this tree? looks like either acer serrulatum or acer buergerianum, or some asian maple species

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My thoughts are Trident, I have one and the leaves are very much like your photo Soumil.

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

For optimal confirmation of supposed trident maple show the overall habit and the bark. (Presentation of more than just a small portion of a tree or other plant is more likely to garner reliable responses generally).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  4. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

the samaras are very odd, though. they are shaped like section platanoides, but ill label it as trident maple for now.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree not Acer buergerianum; and agree something in sect. Platanoidea, perhaps Acer truncatum?

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is how we know it's not buergerianum: the nutlets are flat, but Trident maple has rounded nutlets.

20220814_173702.jpg

So, as Michael and Soumil suggest, Sec Platanoidea has flat nutlets. But I can't really see a maple in the section that fits completely. A. truncatum has green petioles and 5 lobes, though I suppose enthusiastic growth might have 3 lobes. A. fulvescens might have 3 lobes, but the angle of them looks wrong for that maple. However, A. longipes does in some ways fit the bill. Here's a screenshot of one of the deLanghe scans:

Screenshot from 2022-08-14 18-04-55.png

A. longipes sometimes has red petioles, and it does have the truncate to rounded leaf base, as well as the 3-5 lobes of the mystery tree. But it has quite papery leaves, while the leaves in the picture look quite leathery? Of course it's a very rare maple indeed, so the odds of running across one seems pretty high.

Does the mystery tree have milky sap? That's always a key thing to check when looking for an ID.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Michael F, maf and Soumil Yarlagadda like this.
  7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looking closely at the pic there are at least a couple of 5-lobed leaves (see red marks below); it would be worth getting more pics.
    1.jpg

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It could be Acer discolor, or Acer paxii : the two are considered as synonyms by some.

Here's a photo of the leaves on one of my A. discolor :

acer-discolor_220816a.jpg

PS : have a look at the thread about A. discolor in the maple photo gallery :
    Acer discolor

There are lso a few pics of A. paxii here :
    Acer paxii - Evergreen maple