id please

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by funnyfarmherbs, Oct 29, 2007.

1. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

anyone know this ones name? he appears to be self heading. thanks bruce

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Could be several species due to the juvenile state the plant is now in. My first guess, and it is just a guess, would be Philodendron radiatum. That species has at least 10 known growth forms and is extremely variable. But there are other species that could potentially look very similar. Brian and several others have much better knowledge bases than do I. So it will be interesting to see what suggestions are made.

3. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

Steve, take a closer look. Dont you think it is P. xanadu?

4. photopro

Certainly possible but the lower lobe is extremely enlongted for P. xanadu. It certainly does have the look of a Meconostigma which would be a self header. I think we need more of the "big guns" to take a look. These are tough to figure out when in the juvenile state.

5. photopro

I'm posting a couple of leaves from a verified Philodendron xanadu for comparison. This plant was a gift from Julius Boos who is one of the three botanical authors of that species. Compare the lobes. the Philodendron in the top photo has a bottom lobe similar to Philodendron pedatum but does not appear to be that species. Good mystery though!

Attached Files:

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I initially thought P. xanadu but the lower lobe does look funny...

Ed

7. BigBill

BigBill Member

It looks like the juvenile leaf of Xanadu. There are allot of different clones of that particular plant because of the mutation that has occurred in tissue culture. Xanadu has been dosed so many times with chemicals that it does not resemble the original plant that was put into tissue culture. This was told to me by the original lab that put it in many years ago.

8. photopro

Thanks Bill. It certainly had the appearance of a Meconostigma but the lobe was the kicker for me. Your knowledge of these species is most helpful. And for those who are wanting to kick me for using the word "Meconostigma", that is a section of Philodendron species that includes the self heading species, largely from Brazil. These are capable of growing standing alone and are sometimes called the "tree Philodendron species". Although some do climb, they don't need to do so. Good call Mike!