Ichangquat

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SoCal2warm, Jun 16, 2019.

1. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

These are some Ichangquat seedlings I grew from seed
    20190616_114210.jpg

Ichangquat is a hybrid between Citrus ichangensis and kumquat.
    Various seedlings I have grown from this show different phenotypical traits in the leaf shape, so at least many seeds are not nucellar. Mostly one sprout coming up from each seed.

One man is growing Ichangquat right outside of Paris (France) in a semi-enclosed courtyard, the tree is very tall now, growing up against his two story home. It's growing on its own roots, and he said he's never protected it since it was planted out as a young tree.
    He says that his Citrus ichangensis was froze back and was killed during a particularly cold Winter but the Ichangquat survived. (He's in zone 8a)
    The tree there has put on a lot of fruits, which are the size of large calamondin, the skin has a slight bitterness, but 3 out of 4 of the fruits are seedless, and the other 1 out of 4 only have one seed. They are edible but not exactly the tastiest. The fruits may have culinary uses since the skin is relatively soft and tender.

Ichangquat originally was developed in the USDA breeding program in Florida, but has fallen into obscurity.

I gave a cutting to Logee's nursery, so they may be able to offer this in the future (probably several years from now).

It should be able to survive zone 8, but in particular the colder parts of zone 8 further north.

I'm in Olympia, WA. From my comparative trials of other hardy citrus, I am confident that this will be able to survive outside here.

This may be a great new cold hardy hybrid that doesn't have trifoliate in it. It's also a very vigorous grower, as vigorous growing as Yuzu, which is an important trait for a hardy citrus to be able to recover from cold damage.

2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Ichangquat in ground
    20190820_174651.jpg