I need some advice

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by alabama, Aug 31, 2007.

1. alabama

alabama Active Member

I saw this beautiful plant at a local garden store and had to have it. It was labled purple ice plant. I had it growing in the original container for a while and everything was fine. After a while it started drooping and the leaves were shrivelling up. We have had a very bad summer here in Alabama, 23 days of over 100 degrees F and not much rain at all (worst drought in over 123 years they say). Anyway, I repotted the plant in a larger container, put it semi-shade, and started giving it more water. It seems to be picking up but it is getting leggy. If I trim it up will it branch out and become bushier? I cannot put it in the direct sunlight because the plant will cook. I can't put it in my garden because the sun will burn it up. I know it may be hard to believe but this sun is brutal. What can I do?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

The legginess may be caused by lack of enough light. Could you protect it from the hottest time of the day by moving it into a shade area. Also be careful you don't fry the roots in the pot when in a sunny spot. I put my pots inside a bigger one and put newspaper or woodshavings between the two and water the lot. I can believe your heat we are still trying to get out of a 10 year drought here. Not looking forward to summer. Late winter has been like early summer.

Is this the one you have??? if so looks like it is an alpine plant but can tolerate dry

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/39725/

http://www.denverplants.com/annual/html/delos_coo.htm

Liz

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Your Delosperma is a very tough plant and in its native environment may be exposed to full desert sun. So, even in the hot summer sun of Alabama, it should not give it too much trouble if it is receiving water every few days.

Now, what may be happening is that the plant is going dormant. This is a survival mechanism that many desert plants have during the hottest season of the year. I am not saying that is what is happening, given that Delosperma are typically winter dormant, but it is not uncommon for many plants to temporarily "shut down" their growth metabolism under harsh conditions.

The other issue is that they do not like having their feet wet and need a typical succulent soil mix. I don't know if there is an issue here or not, but root health is easily overlooked until it's too late.

It may be getting "leggy" because it wants more light and/or it is receiving too much water, and yes, trimming it up a bit will stimulate some branching.

Perhaps some horticultural shade cloth will work. Cover it up during those particularly hot days with intense sun, but otherwise, let it receive its well-needed light.

4. alabama

alabama Active Member

Thank you for the replies. I think the dormant theory may be the correct one. I had it under a horticultural shade cloth and it was potted in pro-mix. I don't think that the soil was an issue. It just rained recently and the plant seems a hundred percent better. Almost all of the plants that were put in the ground suffered. The only outside watering we are able to do is hand watering and we are restricted as to water usage. The problem with putting them in the ground in the middle of summer is that they have no time to adjust. Even my dahlias burned. It has been a tough year.

Thankx again for all the help, I might just trim them and start some cuttings.