I don't know where to put this message

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by gwsans, Nov 27, 2008.

1. gwsans

gwsans Member

I want to know more about the difference between a lotus plant and a water lily, In some pictures it seems as if water lilies have less petals and more pollen thingys. Sorry about my lack of terminology and knowledge.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lotus plants (Nelumbo, family Nelumbonaceae) have leaves held above the water level, whereas water-lilies (Nymphaea and Nuphar, family Nymphaeaceae) have leaves that float flat on the water. In the flowers, Nelumbo has a big central seed-bearing structure, Nymphaea and Nuphar only have small ones.

3. gwsans

gwsans Member

Are the amount of petals relatively the same?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, Lotus and Nymphaea are similar in that respect. Nuphar looks more like an oversize buttercup.

5. gwsans

gwsans Member

Thank you, I think the Nuphar variety is what I've been seeing on the net, "buttercup like". I like the floating lily and pad aspect of water-lilies but the pictures of lotus flowers were "prettier".

6. tugo

tugo Active Member

I don't know why but this summer I had 3 water lily flowers (hardy and from 2 different pots) standing about 10 cms above the water level.
    This was strange to me and the same pots gave up also normal floating flowers.

I am not an expert but I see the difference (sorry my lack of the right terminology) comparing their seed pots. Water lily collects the seeds under the flower section, in a jelly like surrounding but I believe the lotus produce the seeds on the middle surface of the flower. Lotus, I don't have any.