Hymenocallis Festalis Bulbs

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by alves, Aug 30, 2006.

1. alves

alves Member

Hi,

This year I had my first attempt with the H. Festalis, they flowered very well but now I do not know what to do with the bulbs.

They are outside in pots and I want to plant them next year again outside but directly in the soil. so what should I do? should I stop watering and remove them from the pot, or just leave them in the pot but bring it inside? I am in Zone 9. If I remove the bulb, does it needs any special care? Can I wash the bulb? should I leave roots or soil? when should I stop watering and when should I remove them? I really like this flower and I do not want to damage the bulbs.

a quick question, when the H. festalis is flowering can I cut the old flowers to get new ones or they just flower once?

Thanks

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I grow mine in the ground in Zone 8, so it should be hardy for you in Zone 9. They like water so I would water till they die back naturally. You can store the pot in a frost free area or if you lift the bulb, leave some soil around the roots, lay on it's side till the leaves dye back and then store in peat moss like dahlia tubers. I have not tried cutting the old flowers for more bloom myself.