Hydrangea - new cuttings

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by akwx, Sep 29, 2006.

1. akwx

akwx Member

I've recently taken two cuttings from a matured hydrangea plant, in hopes of propagating. The cuttings seem to be about 2 - 3 years old. I plan on dipping the cuttings in rooting powder, and then secure them in a pot for the fall.

I'm wondering what size of pot would be appropriate for the root system, if I wish grow these in a container, for the immediate future?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hydrangeas root very easily in spring, even without rooting powder; not so sure about now but it won't hurt to try since you have the cuttings. I wouldn't bother with the old wood on the branches you've got; just cut off the newest growth and use some pieces of that. You don't need much on top, and just one leaf node below ground. I usually root cuttings in fairly small pots (max 1 gallon) because cuttings sometimes don't take (and in 1 gal I often put up to about 8 cuttings); this should be more than adequate through the winter as there will be no problem with the pots drying out. Once established, you can then plant them in their permanent home.