Hoya tendrils pointing away from window

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chris206, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chris206

Chris206 New Member

Plant is healthy, in south window (all I have) with a sheer cloth in front of it. It gets a bit of direct light in the morning. Tendrils (about 18") are growing away from the window, not towards it. Does this mean I have got the light wrong? If so, does it need more or less?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. Chris206

Chris206 New Member

I added a picture (I hope) but it was pretty hard to have the tendrils show clearly. I put a pillowcase on the window to give a little more definition to them, but it’s not usually there! The sheer curtain that you see is there unless it’s really cloudy. I think you can see that the tendrils are growing away from the window. I am just wondering if the light is wrong for them. (I’ve tried googling, but haven’t found anything really helpful in answering this question) Hi

Attached Files:

4. Chris206

Chris206 New Member

Well, I think I answered the question myself. I took the shade down because today is very cloudy and the tendrils immediately started seeking the window, so I don’t think the plant was getting enough light.
    The problem will now be giving it more like without scorching it. Sorry to waste peoples time!

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

No need to apologize, particularly since you replied with your discovery, and we will have it here for the next person who has a similar query.

I am surprised to read what you found. I'd have guessed the same as you originally did. So it seems from what you're reporting that the light in the rest of the room was as good as what it was (wasn't) getting from the window.

6. Chris206

Chris206 New Member

Thank you so much for your gracious answer. I think you are right, as the interior of the apartment is lit with banks of LEDs. Maybe I’ll try an even more sheer curtain. I was using the curtain to filter the sunlight for my orchids, which I brought from my last apartment, and I put the hoya with them but possibly I’ve been too draconian! I love the way the tendrils move around almost visibly as conditions change.

wcutler likes this.