How to kill scale

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Maiolicagirl, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Maiolicagirl

Maiolicagirl Member

Inhave been battling scale on my potted plants for 2 years now. I have been able to control it on my potted citrus and bay plants by hand picking and spraying with neem oil and Safers soap. I now have a huge infestation on my potted corokias. It will be almost impossible to pick the scale off of the tiny stems and leaves. I am going to give the plants a good pruning and hope that a continued spray program will help.
    Is there anything more effective to control scale? I don’t want to to use a systemic solution but I am getting desperate. The corokias are quite large and they are overwintering under lights.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Contributor 10 Years

I've had scale on my citrus in the past. Care must be taken to physically remove all the adult scale before spraying with insecticidal soap. The sprays must then be repeated a number of times with 7-10 days in between. Periodically inspect the plant for surviving adults and remove them if necessary as some adults, those with nearly transparent shells, may have escaped initial detection. Persistence is key.

Infected plants should be quarantined and hands should be washed after handling to prevent passing the infection to other plants.

By the way, I believe systemics are no longer available at retail.

3. Maiolicagirl

Maiolicagirl Member

Thanks, I will have to be more persistent. As I mentioned in my post it is extremely difficult to hand pick the scale from the teeny tiny corokia leaves and stems. I have them quarantined for now and in the summer Inmay just out them in an isolated area in my garden.

4. Junglekeeper

You may want to look into using horticultural oil for the corokias and other outdoor plants. I've not used it before but it's apparently more effective for plants with a lot of foliage in which pests can hide.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was able to finally rid my Citrus hystrix of scale by washing it with strong water flow from a garden hose. It is a large shrub so picking them off was very difficult. It takes a very strong spray though--I used a small tight spray--not a lot of water, but a strong jet. Citrus leaves are fairly tough, it might just blow the leaves off a corokia.

6. Anna Kadlec

Anna Kadlec Active Member

Any suggestions for a scale-infested Clematis armandii? I can't reach most of it : (

7. Maiolicagirl

Maiolicagirl Member

Great idea, and Cedar Rim Nursery just sent an email flyer with hort oil on sale. I will prune today and spray again with neem and soap then do oil next week.

8. Maiolicagirl

Maiolicagirl Member

I will try that once it warms up. Such a tenacious pest.

9. Junglekeeper

10. Margot

Margot Active Member

As a last resort, you might consider cutting it back to a few feet from the ground where you can control the scale and then let it regrow, hopefully scale-free. Clematis armandii grows so quickly, it would probably not take too long for an established plant to re-cover the same space as it did before.