How to keep slugs/snails off, particularly my potted A.S. Aureum?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shishi, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Happy 2007 Everyone!!!

In preparation for Spring, I wanted to see how everyone is keeping slugs off of their maples especially A.S. Aureum.

Slugs seem to love the big tender leaves the Aureum puts out during Spring and I always find my leaves being eaten and slugs near or in my Aureum.

I have been to nurseries and am reluctant to put bait in the soil for fear of side effects to the trees. I have seen a copper tape that supposedly will deter snails/slugs as their slimy secretions reacts with the copper to give them a bad sensation but not sure if that really works or just a gimmick?

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

It does work, but they still seem to find a way around it. The coppers' effectivness will eventually be reduced by oxidation. The type of copper tape that the stained glass trades use also works, it is available in various widths.

3. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had any luck locating the copper tape for stained glass windows so I guess I will place a ring of pennies around the trunk of the tree and see how that goes.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the safers company makes the copper slug tape, it should be available to you, if not try online sources. If it gets weathered as copper will outdoors, buff it! :)