How to germinate Liquidambar styraciflua L. seeds?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Liquidambar02, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Liquidambar02

Liquidambar02 Member

Hello,

I'm interested in propagating Liquidambar by seed but I don't know how anything about their germination. Could you please tell me how to do it?
    Thanks,

Susana

2. Jirrus

Jirrus Member

Hi Susana, I have a passion for Liquidambar germination as I choose seed-raised individuals that perform locally well (for autumn/fall colour) in our sub-tropical climate. Excellent results achieved. When seeds available in autumn/winter, keep fresh seed in paper bag in fridge until spring. As I collect my seeds from cooler districts in southern Australia areas, I can plant straight away in my warmer climate in July/August, no problems. (Alternatively plant out in Spring when days lengthen/warm up if you experience severe/classic cold winters). I soak my fresh seeds for 24 hours in room-temperature water in bottle or plastic bag etc before sowing, then sow lighly in superior quality commercially available seed-raising mix. Bury sweetgum seeds only lightly into mix. (ie. pour solution of water and seeds into seed tray full of seed raising mixture and then sprinkle lightly with additional seed raising mix, contained in the fist of your hand, until seeds are covered. Allow 1.5-2.5 weeks for germination. If you want to delay germination until you're ready to do so, keep seeds fresh in refrigerator until convenient time. Hope this helps, all the best & cheers! From Jirrus, Australia.
    (Let me know how you go with this!)

3. Liquidambar02

Liquidambar02 Member

Hi Jirrus, thanks a lot for your reply. I will follow your recommendations. The issue now is to collect the seeds because I haven't got any. I hope I can still find some in the fruits.
    Here our winter is mild so perhaps the seeds will need a time in the fridge or perhaps they don't, I will experiment with both situations. I like what the step of soaking the seeds before sowing them.
    I hope to write you soon about my experience with the seeds.

Thanks again,

Susana