How small can a flower get...

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Pieter, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

P9770727 -1-crop.jpg
    We all revel in the glory of the multitude of colours and size of flowers of the various plants we grow, and then you stop and marvel at the size of the flowers of Corsican mint, as you can see, it's around 1 mm...yes, it's in a container....

AlainK and Margot like this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Pieter and Margot like this.
  3. wcutler

Here are two with relatively huge flowers - more like 5mm in diameter, but small enough that they're easy to miss noticing. None of the ones I'm posting are anything I'm growing.
    Muehlenbeckia axillaris Edited - I think this is M. complexa
    Muehlenbeckia-axillaris_VanDusenBG_Cutler_20210924_134018.jpg

Disanthus cercidifolius
    Disanthus-cercidifolius-subsp-cercidifolius_UBCBG_Cutler_20171024_P1310262.JPG

Oh, I came across a small one while I was looking for the one above. Ilex litseifolia. Ilex litseifolia in Flora of China @ efloras.org says 1mm in diameter.
    20120717_UBCBG_IlexLitseifolia_Cutler_P1270259.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

5. wcutler

There is no searchable info in a link, so I'll expand on it to say that it links to an article that begins:
    Watermeal (Wolffia spp.) is a member of the duckweed family (Lemnaceae), a family that contains some of the simplest flowering plants. There are various species of the genus Wolffia worldwide, all very small. ... Each Wolffia flower consists of a single pistil and stamen; it also produces the world’s smallest fruit, called a utricle.​
    Most of the links in that article don't work, but here's one of duckweed:
    Duckweed: Care and Growing Guide (thespruce.com):
    Duckweed (Lemna spp.) is one of the smallest flowering plants on Earth.​
    and
    Common Duckweed (Lemna minor) keeps water clean, prevents the overgrowth of algae, and generously feeds fish. Plants measure 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long. Each plant has one to three light green leaves that are flat and oval in shape. Each leaf then has one hair-like root that hangs down in the water. Miniature air sacs keep the plant afloat. Common Duckweed has a short lifespan, but it carpets rapidly and can even become invasive. When it produces flowers, each simple, cup-like flower measures 1mm, ...​