Propagation: How Might I grow a Grapefruit tree?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by whatnot35, Jun 12, 2006.

1. whatnot35

whatnot35 Member

I am kind of new to this whole thing.... I would like to grow a grapefuit tree to eventually plant in my yard... I live in California so weather should not be an issue... my only delema is that I cannot for the life of me get a seed to sprout.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

What are you doing with the seed? What kind of soil, what about light, water, temp, etc. etc.

3. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

It is difficult to find any information on the propagation of grapefruit by seed. Most often plants are taken from cuttings and grafted onto rootstock (the rootstock being a seedling of a less desirable cultivar), still can't find too much.

What I did find is that seed must be planted almost as soon as it is extracted from the fruit. Do not allow it to dry out. Seed into moistened soil. I would create a mini greenhouse over the pot (using clear plastic wrap) so that the moisture and humidity are retained. Keep moist until germination and water normally afterwards.

Hopefully someone who has had success in propagation of grapefruit from seed can provide some more insight.

Raakel

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Growing citrus from seed is not too trying...I have had great success over the decades.

Plant seeds into a potting medium, keep soil covered in clear plastic, temperature
    modestly warm, (in winter I place my planter pot on the hot water tank...really), in a few weeks the seeds will germinate, and then place near a bright light source...

Citrus do not like soggy conditions, mold will ensue, and overtake the seed capsule.

5. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Getting citrus seeds to sprout is very easy.
    1 -Get a Ziploc sandwich Bag.
    2 - Fold a absorbant paper towel over and over untill you have a 1 inch 'V' that fits into the bottom of the Ziploc bag.
    3 - Saturate the paper towel with water (basically only what the paper towel will hold in water)
    4 - Place 4 to 6 FRESH (directly from the fruit & don't let them dry out) citrus seeds evenly in the 'V' fold of the paper towel.
    5 - Seal the bag and place on top of your fridge for 4 to 6 weeks
    6 - Once the shoot gets to around 2 inches, carfully repove the little seedling from the paper towel and plant in a sandy well draining soil. Be carfull of the roots they often
    burrow into the various layers of paper towel and have to be carfully cut out.
    Try that it is a lot of fun. (you may however wait 5 to 10 years for blooms & fruit)

Greg

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Great tips... thankyou.

7. yohosh

yohosh Member

can someone teach me how to grow a grapefruit tree right from the grapefruit. I know how but i live in winnipeg so i can't get it to grow a root so please reply.

8. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Take the seeds out and plant them as noted above. You cannot plant the entire fruit
    and expect it to grow. (Though, never say never when it comes to plants.... :)