How large of a Wisteria cutting can I take?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by SandraWolfenbarger, Apr 29, 2020.

1. SandraWolfenbarger

SandraWolfenbarger New Member

I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to take a large start from a Wisteria vine? My parents planted one years ago, and it crests the top of the Fir tree next to it, more than 60 feet tall. It is now killing the Fir tree and the lower vines are very large (10-12"). We are getting ready to erect a pergola on our property but large equipment won't fit into their back yard. What is the largest portion I may take?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are you looking to transplant? By my reading, it is exceptionally difficult to transplant wisteria successfully.

Or, are you hoping to propagate it?

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    My old timer awareness (stories elder gardeners told) is that wisteria took 7 yrs before flowers

My QUESTION with respect of course - to the original poster - aside fr sentimental notions, are you sure you want a 60-foot climber that can take a fir tree with it? (You say you want to make a cutting?)

Maybe an expert modern gardener here knows if more reasonable wisteria exist today (ie less rampant)

4. SandraWolfenbarger

SandraWolfenbarger New Member

First, thank you so kindly for responding! I will do whatever necessary (propagate) to get as much removed as possible. I have watched videos on how to take small clippings, however I was hoping to find a way to get the largest pieces possible. My dad has talked about completely removing it before it kills the tree and I would like to save what I am able.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think you're going to have to go with starting from small cuttings, from my readings. I'm guessing that a large wisteria's success has something to do with the organismal relationships it forms in the soil, and that isn't replicated with a transplant. It's either that, or its roots are so sensitive to disturbance that it can't handle soil being jostled in transplanting.