Identification: How knows this plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hello2007, Aug 7, 2007.

1. hello2007

hello2007 Member

Hi,
    just bought this beautiful indoor plant at IKEA. However, there was no information on the name of the plant. Does anyone know it?
    Also there weren't any plant care instructions. How often should I water it, does it like direct sun?
    Thanks for any information!

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Although your photo can't be enlarged, it appears to be one that is often sold as Monstera friedrichsthalii . It is also sometimes sold as Monstera obliqua. But both of those names are synonyms for the true name (basionym) which is Monstera adansonii. It is commonly called a "Swiss Cheese" plant.

I spent quite a bit of time discussing this plant with Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden last year. Dr. Croat pointed out that the vast majority of plant collectors use one of the older names for this species. In botany, the first described name is the true name (basionym) and all others that are later given to the plant are the synonyms. Since this one morphs as it grows it has managed to fool several botanists.

The species is an epiphyte which simply means it climbs a tree. And it can grow quite large under favorable conditions.

Monstera species frequently morph as they grow. They often begin as a heart shaped leaf when quite small then morph into leaves with the holes. But given favorable conditions Monstera adansonii can grow to over 2 feet (60cm) long.

You can see a photo of this species in its full grown form here:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera adansonii pc.html

The plant will either run, climb, or trail from a hanging basket. It is best grown in loose soil that aroid collectors call a "tropical mix". I make my own by mixing a moisture control potting soil with Perliteā„¢, extra peat, and orchid potting media containing charcoal. Doesn't really matter how you grow it so long as you are happy with the way it looks. It is easy to grow. Just keep the jungle mix damp, not soggy.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd think in Singapore, it would be more successful outdoors, than inside.

4. photopro

That is for certain! Just plant it next to a tree and watch it climb!

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I thought epiphyte means that it "grows" in a tree/timber, roots and all. Does that mean all vines/climbers are epiphyte's??? Not trying to be smart...I just want to clarify the point.

Ed

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wikipedia gives a good definition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyte

Interesting about the strangler figs. I thought they were parasites. They start as an epiphytic plant and eventually strangle and kill their hosts, but they do not take nutrients from them. After they get their roots down to the soil and start growing on their own support, I guess they would no longer be considered an epiphyte.

7. photopro

According to information I received from Dr. Croat, an epiphyte is considered a plant that grows upon another plant. However, there are various forms.

Many epiphytes do not need to ever grow in soil. They are simply placed on the branch of a tree as a seed in the droppings of a bird who has eaten the seed berry. The bird's droppings provide enough nutrients for the plant to sprout. Those sometimes send roots all the way to the soil and years of growth. And when the roots hit the soil the plant typically grows larger due to the additional nutrients the roots can now pick up. But they don't necessarily every have to be rooted in soil. They normally receive all their moisture and nutrients from the atmosphere.

There is also a group known as hemiepiphytes that can begin life as a seed dropped in the soil and then find a host tree to climb. Those are divided into primary and secondary hemiepiphytes. Once they reach the higher branches, they too may drop additional roots back to the soil. But they are sometimes epiphytic species in the beginning that simply drop their roots down to the soil and are primarily rooted in the soil. The later group is "secondary". It can be a bit confusing. But that is the way Dr. Croat has explained it to me in numerous notes and articles.

8. edleigh7

Thanks for that Eric...so, to summarize, a plant thats roots are NOT in the ground are epiphytes, whereas a plant thats roots are in the ground but climb a tree is just a climber? Is that correct??

Ok Photopro...there are different types..that makes sense now thanks...sorry hello 2007 didn't mean to hijack your thread I was very curious thats all

Ed

9. photopro

I'm with you! I often feel guilty when I say something that is not truly on subject. But most of the time I find someone is wanting to know the answer. Actually, according to the way Dr. Croat explained it to me your quote "a plant thats roots are in the ground but climb a tree is just a climber?" could also be a hemiepiphyte. But there may be distinctions in botany. I'll be anxious to hear what Eric has to say.

10. photopro

The distinction appears to be if the plant is or is not a parasitic form. Epiphytes and hemiepiphytes draw no nutrients from the host and do no harm. They simply live on the host and use it as a support.

11. edleigh7

What about plants on rocks (eg staghorn) isn't that another sort all together??

Ed

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Actually, they can do harm - the strangler figs are a good example. Also a heavy load of epiphytes increases the risk of branches breaking on a tree, or even the whole tree falling over. Not taking nutrients directly is the real difference, epiphytes don't tap into the host's vascular system.

They're called epipetric (epi-, on, plus petros, rock).

13. edleigh7

Hey Michael good point...the strangler figs over here, over a period of time, engulf the whole tree until the tree dies...now thats what i call damage!!

Ed

14. photopro

Hey, what do I know? I only believe what the botanists I talk to tell me!

As for plants growing on rocks, there are numeous types. Some are also called lithophytes as well. And I've had a bunch of people tell me it is "impossible" for a plant to grow on a rock! So I set out to try. I now have two Microsorum thailandicum ferns firmly attached to limestone! They've been that way for well over a year.

And have we ever screwed up this thread!

15. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was just thinking about the birds nest ferns I saw in a Qsld rain forest. Mine is just as happy on the ground but these were way up in the canopy

Liz

16. photopro

Not uncommon Liz. Epiphytic species are most often found up in the canopy but will also often do fine in a pot or in the ground. Nature has simply figured out a neat way of getting them up in the air where they are exposed to better light. The big trees that make up the canopy often block too much light for things to grow in the ground beneath their branches.

17. hello2007

hello2007 Member

First THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! I'm happy to know that I have a Monstera adansonii. The discussion about epiphytes and epipetrics is interesting!

I think epiphytes can be defined as having the ability to grow on another plant, at least in some stage of their development. However, the seeds need a small amount of soil for germination, e.g. in a crotch or ledge, or in a plant pot. (Right?)

Cheers!

18. photopro

Close enough! They can begin life and geminate in the droppings of a bird as well, but close enough! Sorry we got way off track on this one!

19. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I little sideways does no harm. It is a learning trail for us all. It was still garden horticultrual, botanical, orientated. It was not as tho you were telling us what you had for lunch or what you did last night :)

20. edleigh7

Chinese actually quall, prawns and duck...very nice thanks Liz lol!!

Ed

21. photopro

In a post above I indicated Monstera obliqua and Monstera friedrichsthalii are synonyms. Discussions with Dr. Tom Croat of the MIssouri Botanical Garden in mid December of 2007 have led me to change that assumption. Monstera friedrichsthalii is considered a synonym for Monstera adansonii (that can be verified via TROPICOS) but M. obliqua and M. friedrichsthalii are not the same species.

I am currently trading email with botanists at both MOBOT and the Huntingon in California to unravel and clarify this misconception.

22. edleigh7

Thanks for that Steve.
    Interesting to re read this thread again...

Ed