Propagation: How does one propagate blueberry shrubs?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Cherylfah, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Cherylfah

Cherylfah Member

I would like to propagate some "sunshine blue" blueberries. Does anyone have suggestions as to the most fool-proof way to do that?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

cuttings or grafting (asexualpropagation) would be the best way to maintain the variety, any sexual propagation would allow for genetic change.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

The huge amounts of blueberries propagated for planting in our areas are apparently done from hardwood cuttings. The annual winter pruning creates all the cuttings anyone could wish for, and blueberries are very easy to root so this makes the most sense commercially.

For you, the cuttings could be taken almost any time, and summer cuttings seem to root faster...but they do need more care because of the drying effects of the summer weather.

I would suggest for your greatest fool-proof-ity taking some cuttings around February or March, before the buds swell. Dip them in the strongest rooting hormone (formulated for hardwood cuttings) then stick them into small individual pots of peat and perlite (an extra porous bagged potting mix would also work well). A bit of bottom heat usually helps but I doubt these guys need it, just keep them shaded and out of the wind, like in a cold frame, until they have rooted (probably 2-3 months).