hostas in part sun/shade

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Takana_Hana, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

hi, i recently took a few hosta starts from a friend of mine, and were in almost full shade there, i moved them to my home and the area where i put them they get about 4-5 hours of sun, will they be ok?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

They should be, unless it's particularly intense, in which case they may go thru some adjusting (looking not-so-hot), but also should recover once adjusted. Try watering a bit more for a couple of months while they're adjusting and getting established.

3. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

ok tahnks alot!!!

4. McNeil

McNeil Member

Hi, My hostas receive morning sun and do very very well, afternoon sun I am not sure but I would give then lots more water, I also have some in afternoon FILTERED sun and they do very well also, intense sun I would keep my eye on them.

5. McNeil

McNeil Member

Hi again, I forgot to say that I also have a lot of hostas in pots, I find that a great way to have them as then you can move them around .

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

A lot of hostas NEED sun, mostly the fragrant ones that have H. plantaginea parentage. As long as they are adequately watered, many can take plenty of sun. If you read the more specialized literature on the topic you can find out variety by variety what they need. Also the plant tags from the better growers will give you this info.