Hosta Virus X

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Pieter, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

or more commonly referred to as HVX, was spotted locally at 2 'big box retailers' over the weekend. The Walmart in New West had a batch of severely infected 'Golden Tiara' that were so badly infected I barely recognized them, and the Home Depot in Richmond had some 'Sum and Substance' that had a bad case of HVX.

If you feel you MUST purchase Hostas from any 'big box retailer' make sure you know how to spot this incurable disease and recognize that just because one out of a batch of any given cultivar does not show it when most of the others do, the odds are very high that plant will also carry it, it just doesn't show yet. Don't take a chance. In reality however it isn't just the big box stores I'd be concerned about, I'm sad to say I have seen examples of HVX being on the shelf of most specialty nurseries, which tells me nursery staff in general don't recognize it. The manager of a small nursery near where I live told me the sales rep for one of her suppliers -you know, the ones in the blue pots- told her that what she thought looked suspicious was in fact frost damage. Frost damage and HVX don't look anything alike, that was just a load of bull to not have to take back inventory. That's sad.

Do YOU recognize HVX when you see it, or are you unaware of what to look for?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is also an excellent discussion forum @ Hallson's where Chris has been one of the main driving forces to drive home what scourge HVX is to the Hosta world.