Hoodia

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by sal134, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sal134

sal134 Member

Has any of this cactus-type plant arrived in Canada? I understand it is native to the Kalahari, and I am unsure of its proper name. Is it available/possible to raise?

Sal

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Considering what people are charging to import the capsules for diets, it would be interesting if you could grow it here! Try Googling Hoodia gordonii and see what comes up!

3. sal134

sal134 Member

I understand a pharmaceutical company has bought up all the hoodia in africa, it is just unbelievable that it could be ALL the hoodia.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

It isn't, that's nonsense I think, but they may have taken over some co's that were already in production, vs gone out and actually corralled all the wild-growing plants around.

5. DeVine

DeVine Member

Hello im in BC & started some Hoodia Gordonni from seed last winter they had a fantastic germination rate & for the most part have been fairly easy keepers . seed sourced at
    http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/index1gb.htm
    they did run out but may have some more .
    i have quite a few if you cant find any seed or plants

Attached Files:

6. japa2222

japa2222 Member

www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com has some cuttings and seeds. However there are "other" types of plants on that site. You should be fine if you just order the Hoodia.