Honeysuckle propagation

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by hlbdiva, Apr 8, 2007.

1. hlbdiva

hlbdiva Member

I live on the northshore of Lake Erie in Ontario and a neighbour has a wall of honeysuckle. I have no idea what it's scientific name is but the blooms are yellow. They are moving and I would like to get some of it and try to grow it in my garden. I have read conflicting ideas on the net so for my area.... when should I cut it? Where should I cut? Does it go into soil or into water? HELP!

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

Are you sure its honeysuckle and not forsythia

3. hlbdiva

hlbdiva Member

It is growing like a vine along a 40 ft long wall. And it blooms all summer. Thanks for the help!

4. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

My sister's neighbour had honeysuckle with wonderful fragrance you could smell 50 ft away. The blooms are a creamy colour.
    I asked for a few cuttings (it gets heavilly pruned anyway) and just stuck them in the ground with a bit of rooting powder in the fall. Out of about 5 cuttings, 3 grew slowly the first year but took off after that and now do well enough that I have to prune it quite heavily myself. In fact, out here I find it can get quite unruly and I have a job keeping it our of my (picky) neighbour's property.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Find out what species of honeysuckle it is first, there are some that are dangerous invasive weeds.

6. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I had wanted a honeysuckle for a while but didn't want a lot of work keeping it in check. My sister's neighbour didn't have an i.d. on his plant, but I know it is definitely a honeysuckle, and I watched it for a couple of seasons. He keeps his in a very neat clump whereas I have mine fanned out. However, you do need to prune it back. I prune lightly after flowering and get a second bloom. Then prune more severely in the fall.