Homegrown Almond Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Homestaymom, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

My homegrown 2 feet almond tree, I planted indoors last Dec. 2006, in a pot.
    I don't know, if I can plant this almond tree outdoors, in the back of the house.
    In Detroit Michigan.

2. Homestaymom

Homestaymom Member

The Winter months are very cold sometimes below 0 and this could be a problem.
    should I leave the tree the same pot indoors?.
    I'm worried the tree will die outdoors.
    Thanks, homestaymom

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

A store bought almond grown from seed is likely only hardy to zone 7 (may be ok in Detroit). If it did survive for you, two other factors come into play. Almonds are very early flowering and the flowers are most often killed by frost. As well, a seed grown almond may start to exhibit prussic acid in its fruit, common in the wild form but bred out of the domesticated form.

Named varieties are available that are hardier but besides 'Hall's Hardy Almond' (fairly bitter nuts) but I don't know their names.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Your biggest problem other than cold, is going to be the growth rate. I planted an almond tree cutting in 1999 in my yard in Florida. We've since sold the house and moved. But last year the tree was 40 feet tall! They get big!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Hall's' belongs to Prunus X persicoides, the hybrid between the almond tree and the peach tree.