hollywood cypress

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by neko musume, Oct 24, 2005.

1. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

hello,

i dug this tree out of a friends yard, that was going to be paved, and am trying to figure out what it is so i can take care of it properly.

i saw one at home depot yesterday, that looked, to my inexperienced eye, very much like it, which was labeled, "hollywood cypress".

i did a search for it online but can find no information on it. my friend says it's probably a juniper since it has berries.

the conifer sites i've been to, show a lot of mature trees from a distance, that are healthy and well shaped. i don't even know what the habit of this one is supposed to be.

i'm also trying to decide if i should let it keep growing at the angle it is at or if i should try to stake it.

i would appreciate any information, if anyone can recognize this tree ( even a general "juniper" or "cypress" would be more than i know now ), as i also need to repot it and would like to read up on what is the best type of mix for it.

thank you. ^_^

n. musume

Attached Files:

2. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

Your friend was right, it is a juniper. I think it's probably a Hollywood Juniper, somehow someone just got the names mixed up. I hope you were able to get a lot of the roots when you dug it up. They have a big root system and they can be hard to transplant. They are easy to grow in sun and are drought tolerant. Give it well drained soil and don't over water it. It can get big over time, like 10 feet tall and almost as wide.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, Hollywood juniper can certainly get to be 10' tall - and then some. Records:

27' x 4'0" x 21' Tacoma, WA (1993)
    31' x 2'5" x 20' Seattle, WA (1993)
    25' x 3'0" x 24' Seattle, WA (1992)

Ref: Van Pelt, Champion Trees of Washington State (Washington, 1996)

4. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

cool !

thank you dee m. and ron b. ! you guys are awesome !

dee m., you were correct about the roots on this one, as they were very thick and went down into the soil quite a bit, and i had a difficult time getting to the parts where they finally started to taper off. back-breaking work, but it was sad to think it would've just gotten bulldozed over.

thank you also for tips on how much sun and what type of soil it likes. i guess it's perfect for a climate like los angeles.

and thank you ron b., for the dimensions i can expect if i put it into the ground. i thought it would stay small and compact because it had the shape of a severly windblown bonsai. that wasn't a very bright assumption.

i will have to keep it potted until i get a yard, and hope it doesn't mind the constriction of being in one, until then.

now i can look it up, see it's growth habits and can look forward to watching it attain it's proper form.

thank you both again, very much. ^_^

n. musume