Hicks Yew

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by TimA, Dec 24, 2008.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

I've just acquired a Hicks Yew, and I'm wondering if there is any danger of a bird eating the berries and creating a problem with an invasive species if I put it on the balcony? Supposedly the Hicks is a hybrid of English and Japanese varieties, and a/the japanese variety has been identified as invasive by USDA.
    many thanks,

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

T. baccata is uncommonly naturalized in Seattle. To my knowledge seeding out of T. x media has not been observed here.

3. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Wow, these postings make me hopeful that the Hick's Yew I bought at a discount in the fall will survive in spring so that I can get it in the ground. Are they suppose to lose some of their needles or is the plant pot bound. As it looked very nice when I brought it home and then fall came and I had hand surgery.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If in visibly diminished condition at planting time probably just as well to start again with a healthy specimen. Plants in poor condition often fail to establish readily when planted out. They may sometimes even be infested with pests or pathogens that could spread into the new planting site.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Thank you, Ron. Right now it has been under snow, then rain, then snow, then rain...crazy December.