Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by pomme8916, May 6, 2007.

1. pomme8916

pomme8916 Member

I am propagating Hibiscus from seed and was wandering if anyone know of a source or knows how to knick large amounts of seed at the same time or similar. Will un-nicked/chipped seed still germiante? What is The Best way to knick them?

Thanks,

pomme8916

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It would be best to nick the round end of the seeds with a sharp knife. If there are too many seeds to nick with a knife, you might try shaking them in a box lined with sand paper or in a container with sharp grit.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

pomme--I germinated lots of H. moscheutos from Jelitto...not sure if this is the species you're working with, or something more tropical.

Anyway, the moscheutos germinated fine with regular warm moist conditions, I might have soaked them for a day first, but probably not. They didn't seem problematic at all.

Reasonably fresh, well stored seed (which you can be sure of with Jelitto) might not require any fussing...the chipping/scarification deal would be more important with seed that is more borderline viable (?)