Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/17%20August%202006%20Perennial%20Hibiscus/HTML/index.htm

http://xrl.us/qtyu
    17 August 2006 The red hibiscus is several years old. It comes up every year from ground level. The stems are completely removed in the fall. It is about seven feet tall and flowers for about a month. The flowers last for only one day but there are many new buds. I put a supporting string around the plant to prevent the outer stems from bending to the ground particularly during heavy rain.

The white one was planted from seed last year. The flower is large.
    Durgan.

2. joebotanical

joebotanical Member

I planted one of these about 8 years ago, transplanted it once and it is still doing good. I cut it back every year as you do and it grows to about 6-7 ft. tall. My flowers are a bit bigger then yours. This year it actually seemed to not do as well. Do these plants require a fertilizer boost? Maybe the ground is depleted of nutrients.
    Any idea?

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

My knowledge is limited, since the plant was in the yard when I bought the property three years ago. It get a bit of compost thrown over the stubs in the spring. The white one has larger flowers. I like them because they get rather large, and I enjoy seeing the tremendous growth. They sure are an eye-catcher.
    Durgan.

4. joebotanical

joebotanical Member

I know what you mean these things grow quite fast.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hibiscus moscheutos.