Hi there, can you help identify these palms?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by oakweb, Dec 27, 2006.

1. oakweb

oakweb Member

Hey I just got this lot of palms, 5 of them for about $400. Can anyone let me know if they think I got a good deal?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

#1 and #3 appear to be Beaucarnea recurvata, Ponytail and Cycas revoluta, Sago Palm, respectively. They are not true palms.

3. oakweb

oakweb Member

Here are some better shots and newer palms, the 3 finger palm the gentlemen told me these are very old.. really would like to know what kind these are.

Attached Files:

4. oakweb

oakweb Member

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think only photo #4 in the second batch of images is a Ponytail. Some, if not all, of rest may be cycads. You may want to have a look through the photo gallery at The Cycad Society.

6. oakweb

oakweb Member

Thank you, I found a good book on them at Amazon
    The Cycads by Loran M. Whitelock (Hardcover - May 1, 2002)

I really like the look of these, very prehistoric looking at wild shapes. I never saw anything like them in Florida.

Downside is I know they are pulling them from the wild, and it's probably not a good thing they are.

I can't seem to find any Date Palms in Thailand.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't think Date palms (Phoenix dactylifera) grow very well in humid tropics. A dry semi desert area is where date palms grow best and commercial date production is.

Cheers, LPN.

8. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

The tall cycads are probably Cycas pectinata, the small ones with swollen base (normally subterranean), C. siamensis. There are 2 pics of Beaucarnea recurvata.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cycas pectinata and Cycas siamensis both on the IUCN Red List as Vulnerable species. If these are plants pulled from the wild, you may have gotten a good deal, but the rest of the world (and future generations) have lost.

10. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

On IUCN Red List .... as are all cycad species, whether common or rare.

I would not get in quite so much of a moral panic. These are two of the most widely distributed cycads of southeast Asia, rangeing over a lot of rugged and sparsely inhabited country. It's true that in some more accessible areas they are being exploited as landscape plants, even to the extent that specimens over a certain size are locally eliminated, but I doubt that there is even the slightest threat of the species' extinction. In Thailand at least they are common enough in some quite large national parks.

Also, and I realise this is not necessarily relevant to nature conservation, the survival rate of transplanted Cycas spp. in the tropics is very high and they are very long-lived.