Hi from Wilderness

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Sea Watch, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sea Watch

Sea Watch Member

I am on the north west coast of Nootka Island. I am building soil with seaweed and compost. How can I lighten the muck without using peatmoss which is non sustainable? I now use seaweed, cedar shavings, compost, and some glacial rock dust. Also, I'd like any shade plants that would love it here: flowering, green all year, large. Thanks. Shannon

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

How much you need?

I don't know if manure would work, maybe. If there is a feed mill around you can get wheat bran quite cheaply. Or just mix in straw. What do you think?

-Michael

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It would be more direct and permanent to put down a layer of sandier soil over the muck, instead of using all organic matter that will decompose and become more muck. Or what about installing drain lines or digging ditches? If you have muck due to impeded drainage (as well as the climate) improving the drainage would also be more to the point that adding yet more organic matter to an already highly organic substrate.

4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

How many deer were you planning on feeding?
    Anyway pacific rhododendron, skimmia, pieris, and tassle and autumn ferns are 'currant' favorites. Do watch drainage for the rhodo/ pieris guys, and sand added would certainly help.

5. Ron B

I would not incorporate sand, it takes tons of it to change the texture of of a soil. I was talking about dumping sandy or otherwise better soil on the site and planting in that.

6. Sea Watch

Sea Watch Member

Hi, I've tried straw in the past; it's good. It's just a bit heavy and awkward getting it out here (boat). I haven't heard of wheat bran--does it work like peat moss? Thanks.

7. Sea Watch

Sea Watch Member

Hi, Thanks. I could improve the drainage with gravel, maybe. I will think about the drain lines; what would you recommend? This place is boat access only, so I can't feasibly bring anything too heavy. Is there a cover crop that would lighten the soil? Thanks.

8. Ron B

Maybe sections of plastic drain pipe would be possible to bring, but if ditching adequate not needed. Can't make precise suggestions without even having seen pictures of the site.