Identification: Here we go with some more...

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jul 16, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The closest ID I've found to this was a type of Chanterelle........however there was only 1 specimin so I didn't want to pick it or anything. I detected no odor...it was only 1.2 inches in width and rubbery feeling. One person had suggested a Cinnabar-red but I didn't feel it had all the correct characteristics.
    I have found other Chanterelle varieties in this location but no other of this beautiful little red ones.
    Found along the Missouri River bluffs in Atchison, Kansas. Trees are mix of Elm, Maple, Cherry, Mulberry, Ash, Paw Paw, and many others.
    Found in June after lots of rainfalls.

Attached Files:

2. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

This may be naive, I'm a complete novice, but it seems to me to be a really red form of Lobster Mushroom, Hypomyces lactifluorum which is a parasite of mushrooms that look like yours. Have you looked into that possibility?

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

appreciate the suggestion? from what i understand that form of 'parasitical' doesn't really flourish in my area though? the mushroom that it hosts most is very common in my area but this 'shape' of mushroom doesn't fit the more common hosts....
    i'd actually considered it at first but this is such a tiny dainty light-weight mushroom as well....u could see sunlight thru the cap.
    thanx for the idea though!

4. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

I didn't realize how small it was. I think you have a great mystery on your hands! It is such a beautiful mushroom, I hope you find the ID and post it if you do.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx! I have been able to find soooo many gorgeous mushrooms this year...but only a single one of this specific unknown. I didn't want to pick it or do any damage as I never found any others. We're about to get some more rain all this week so should allow for lots more hunting. HOPEFULLY I can find another and get a spore sample as well.
    Thanx for the help!

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi there,
    Is it growing on wood or ground?
    cheers,
    frog

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

it was rooted both against the branch and in the ground. when I tilted it to get the underside image I ripped some of the rootage out of the ground. unfortunately I don't remember what tree it was under...this area is very thick in different woods.......