Help with Plectranthus (Swedish Ivy)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by scottk, Nov 30, 2005.

1. scottk

scottk Member

I originally posted a thread in the Plant Identification forum, where I discovered that this plant was Plectranthus (Swedish Ivy). http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10731

Well, I take one of my previous posts back, as I just noticed that a small flower has begun growing. But anyway, I have a couple more questions about this plant.

When I first got it, it was very small and almost dead, as I had been instructed that it didn't need much light or water. Well, I ended up putting it outside (not in direct light though, on a porch) throughout the summer and giving it plenty of water everyday, and it grew well (from having stems only about 4 inches to about 2 feet).

Now that it is so large, the stems and leaves are very heavy and it seems that the stems/leaves that end up on the underside of others are dying a little, probably from the light not reaching them (?). Should the stems and leaves of this plant be allowed to "hang," or should it be placed on a table so that the stems/leaves rest on the table?

Now that is starting to get colder down here in South Carolina, with some nights below freezing, I have brought the plant inside. Should I turn a light on it (if so, direct light or indirect) during the day?

I brought it back outside yesterday since it was a warm day, and the wind actually blew a stem off. What is the easiest/best method to propagate?

Thanks for any help!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It can't be both! - Plectranthus is neither Swedish, nor an ivy; it is native to the tropics, and in the family Lamiaceae. The only ivy native in Sweden is Hedera helix (Araliaceae).

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Stem cuttings in a moist soil root very easily in about a week to ten days. Plectranthus tend to get very messy as they get older so I usually just start a new plant by placing a about 15 cuttings in an 8 inch, or 20cm pot. Joe

4. scottk

scottk Member

I was under the impression that "Swedish Ivy" was a nickname (albeit incorrect) for the plant... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I was wrong. :)

5. scottk

scottk Member

I appreciate it, that should help a lot.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Swedish ivy is a common name for some Plectranthus spp., commonly grown as houseplants.