British Columbia: Help with garden plot layout?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by pirhan, Apr 17, 2024.

1. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some help in designing/revamping this garden plot of mine. I've attached a photo, not to scale, of what I'm working with. There are a few more perennials that'll pop up that I'm not entirely sure where or what. It's a dog's breakfast of plants and the inconsistency is driving me nuts now. I'm good at taking care of plants but terrible at laying them out.

It's north facing, partial sun, Lower Mainland, zone 7. Looking for bee/pollinator friendly plants. Maybe Japanese garden inspired? I'd love to have a water feature, small fountain for bees, but I'm not sure I have the room or the know how. A little rock path (for looks) would be nice too.

Also, has anyone taken advantage of the UBC soil testing? This is a new build and the soil quality is.... lacking. The hydrangea is pink, so likely alkaline. All the plants are sickly in some way, so not sure if it's too alkaline or lacking elsewhere. I've placed compost a couple of times over the years as well as fertilized but the plants are still not completely healthy.

garden plot.png