Help with calamondin soil

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Tiffany Scribilo, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Tiffany Scribilo

Tiffany Scribilo New Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I need help with my soil for my calamondin and lemon tree. My calamondin is just over a year old (since I’ve had it) only just over a foot tall and has recently started dropping leaves. The branches are also looking to be dying. The soil is at the recommended temp, no bugs, gets lots of sunlight, not too much water and not under watered. I am wondering about the soil medium. In the fall I mixed miracle gro potting mix with compost and peat. It has become a bit dense. Any recommendations on soil? I live in a small town where I am not able to find very much for soil except Walmart and Canadian tire brand stuff. I know some have recommended mixing 1/2 inch coconut husk with peat and..? . Anyone know the ratios and if this has worked? I’m willing to order what I need online but I don’t know where to begin. Growscripts has a nice soil mix but it is super expensive to ship where I live. Also, can I use the same soil for both calamondin and lemon??

Thank you!! Any help appreciated!

2. Siren

Siren New Member

Where abouts are you in Ontario?
    The Indoor Farmer and many hydroponic stores carry Canna brand already buffered Coconut coir and peat.
    Stay away from Miracle grow potting soil.
    I have had some luck with Fanfard tropical mix and cedar mulch,or Fanfard orchid mix.
    But now I’m using straight coconut husk and peat.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You can use whatever material you have available with the goal being to create a porous medium. Potting mixes sold at stores are mainly composed of peat with perlite and sand and are generally too dense for citrus. They can be amended with such material as perlite, small bark chips, calcined clay, and coconut coir. The same medium can be used for both the lemon and calamondin.