Help With Asparagus

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by petitegourmande, May 17, 2008.

1. petitegourmande

petitegourmande Member

I don't know much about asparagus, and I bought a home with vegetable gardens that contain it. The past four years I haven't harvested it, and this year I missed the opportunity. The plants are about 3 feet tall now, but not yet "ferned out." I'm just wondering if you can eat any other part of the plant than just the first new sprouts??? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not recommended, I believe.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Once asaparagus "ferns" you are out of luck, but the vegetation is very attractive. In my last place I grew asparagus in an area on the front lawn about a six foot diameter enclosed circle. The plants had some females which produced berries. Many people walking past would stop aand admire the pretty "fern" growing. It would be about six feet tall, strong, with red berries and was most attractive. The fern branches are often used in flower arrangements, since the vegetation lasts a long time without wilting.

4. Coopmd

Coopmd Member

i pick it until the heads start to open even if it is 18 in or so tall. Cut it off below ground and then just find where it snaps--it is a little bit fibrous but still delicious and also makes great creamed asparagus soup. You can cut some of the plants down in the fall and get fall cuttings too when it cools but then you will lose the next spring cutting from those plants. Keep harvesting until the spears are the size of pencils.

5. petitegourmande

petitegourmande Member

Thank you. That was very helpful. I am a chef and was thinking that I could use the plant after it started growing tall, but didn't want to try it if the plant becomes poisonous at some point, or something like that. Thanks again.

6. petitegourmande

petitegourmande Member

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.