Identification: Help! my plant is unidentified and dying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mattjsolomon, May 10, 2008.

1. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Cinnamon (Cinnamomum).

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

once the leaves start to die off, there's not much you can do about it.

very glad to hear it's looking better after a thorough watering...sounds like lack of proper amount of water is the main issue! keep an eye on it and continue to water throroughly and i'm sure it'll completely bounce back.

3. mattjsolomon

mattjsolomon Member

How should I take care of my Cinnamon (Cinnamomum)?

4. Dave-Florida

I don't think they're hard to grow. Probably the usual--give it water, but don't let the potting soil be soggy. It might like living outdoors for the summer when the weather's like south Asia.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

They luv luv lurve humidity. The ones I have here in the semidesert need to be misted, but when I lived in the jungle I just made sure they got water when the soil around them looked dry.

Incidentally, you can use the leaves in cooking the same way you'd use the bark. In some parts of Ecuador, that's the most common form of cinnamon sold in the markets, largely because taking a few leaves doesn't hurt the tree as badly as taking bark off it does. You can also chew on the leaves for a pick-me-up, if you like the taste of cinnamon.

6. mattjsolomon

mattjsolomon Member

Thanks for all of your help. I lost a lot of leaves but it seems to be coming back around with everyone's help.
    I bet I have enough leaves to chew on for a year.
    Let me know if any of you have a shortage of Cinnamon or need a pick up.....I have a trash bag full of leaves.
    LOL
    Thanks again

7. mattjsolomon

mattjsolomon Member

Thank you all for help with my plant. The good news is after adding humidity and watering it caused the leaves to stop falling off. The bad news is that I have see 0 new growth.
    Any suggestions???

8. Dave-Florida

Sitting around and sulking is common behavior for plants that have suffered some kind of change in life--planting a containerized plant out into the soil is a reliable way to make fast-growing plants comatose. Actually, it's likely to be sending out new roots, adjusting to new sunlight levels, any number of things.

Here, we're having our annual spell of rain forest weather. Most of the plants, native and otherwise, are having a growth festival. Better cut the grass every fourth or fifth day.

9. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your tree sounds like it was doing ok before it was repotted as far as no leaf drop or yellowing. I'm wondering why you re-potted it? Seems many a trouble starts after repotting. How much bigger is the new pot to the old one?

The new soil should be well draining with only enough soil to cover the roots all the way around about an inch or two, any more than that would be considered excess/un used that could potentially cause rot. Most soils need amendments added for better drainage. If the soil is still wet down even a couple inches or so when you water, it could be it's overwatered and roots are rotting. On the other side of the coin, if the entire rootball isn't getting water, you could have some roots drying out.

10. mattjsolomon

mattjsolomon Member

I have been keeping my plant watered and the leaves have stopped falling off and turning brown, but still no new growth.
    What should I do?????

11. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wait for it. Cinnamon trees are slow growers, even here.